Hello WHF members.

We are now Accepting applications for.

Malware Analysis/Malware Removal Course

If you are interested please follow the link below.
Malware Course Application

Course Applications

For forum updates and your personal feedback, no matter if that is issues or praise.

Topic author
Zey
Administrators
Administrators

#1 Course Applications

Postby Zey » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:17 am

Hello WHF members.

Our forum currently provides two different courses. These are:

1. Malware Analysis Course Available Places: -none, the course is full for now, you can post to get on a waiting list-
  • Learn how to set up your own malware analysis lab
  • Analysis of Windows targeting malware, statically (metadata extraction, decompilation, dissassembly) and dynamically (monitoring the system, debugging)
  • Identification and unpacking of protected samples
  • Get a broad understanding of different file formats
  • Includes e.g. analysis of native files, .NET assemblies, MS Office files, PDF, JScript samples, VBS, Jar files, installers (e.g. NSIS), wrapped files (e.g. aut2exe), packed files

2. Malware Removal Course Available Places: 7/10
  • Learn how to remove Malware.
  • Learn how to use different tools for diagnosing systems and fighting malware.
  • Get a basic understanding how Windows operating systems work.
  • Learn how to assist users on forums with malware-related problems

The Malware Analysis course requires basic Windows and programming knowledge (in at least one language). If you don't know any programming language, you will have to learn programming first to a state where you are fluent in one language. Otherwise your chances in passing the course or just understanding the exercises are pretty low.

You are allowed to apply for one course at a time. We will only take a small set of students in the beginning. This ensures that our teachers are available for you. Contributing members of the WHF community will be favoured over others.

The requirements to become a student are:
  • You have enough time and motivation to work on the course
  • You are not enrolled in another time-consuming course (if you have, please finish that other course first)
  • You are able to self-study
  • You are not involved in any blackhat activity! If you are, it may result in a ban from WHF.
  • You act mature, you use proper and understandable English (that means no short forms like "ur" instead of "your")
  • Programming knowledge is a bonus for Malware Analysis; this will be the case as long as we don't offer a preparatory programming course, you will have a hard time in that course without any programming knowledge

Please fill out the following application form if you are interested in one of the courses and post it here.

Code: Select all

[b]Application for the following course:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Occupation:[/b]
[b]Time I will spend for the course per week:[/b]

[b]Do you have any previous experience related to the course's topic?[/b]
[b]Are you currently enrolled in another course on another forum?[/b]
[b]Why do you want to learn more about Malware Analysis/Malware Removal/Windows?[/b]
[b]What do you offer to our forum in return?[/b]  (e.g. assistance for users seeking help here, tutorials in topic xy)
[b]Do you have any programming experience? If yes, tell us about your best project.[/b]
[b]How do you know about our courses or forum? Please explain in detail, URL and or site name[/b]

Freerunning

#2 Re: Windows and Malware Course Application

Postby Freerunning » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:26 am

Application for the following course:Malware Analysis
Time I will spend for the course per week: 8 hours

Do you have any previous experience related to the course's topic? I undergo Malicious Software and its Underground course in coursera and also tried to develop basic malwares before using vbs but that is ages ago.
Are you currently enrolled in another course on another forum? Nope
Why do you want to learn more about Malware Analysis/Windows? I'm currently pursuing to achieve my career as Ethical hacker and knowing about malwares will help me a lot.
What do you offer to our forum in return? I can share my knowledge like helping other people.
Do you have any programming experience? If yes, tell us about your best project. Yes, I mainly use PHP and I'm currently developing a system for a big company in our country with 500+ employees. The Scope of it is from production making and to accounting.

Ethereal

#3 Re: Windows and Malware Course Application

Postby Ethereal » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:38 am

Application for the following course: <X> Windows <> Malware Analysis
Time I will spend for the course per week: ~12 hours minimum, weekends are a large variable for me and this is my minimum with school. Eight hours during the week. 5-15 hours over the weekend.
Do you have any previous experience related to the course's topic? I only have experience with Windows 7, and that is somewhat minimal if you're talking about troubleshooting or anything deeper than regular usage and messing around with settings. ;)
Are you currently enrolled in another course on another forum? No.
Why do you want to learn more about Malware Analysis/Windows? I would like to learn more about the OS that I use every day, and simply to learn for myself and for the people that I will be helping in the future whether it be family, friends, or people on forums. I'll be pursuing a career in Computer Science so I figure a lot more knowledge about my computer will help me in the long run. I also plan on taking the Malware Analysis course after this to further develop my knowledge.
What do you offer to our forum in return? (e.g. assistance for users seeking help here, tutorials in topic xy) I will definitely be helping people from different forums and if I'm accepted for the course I will begin spending time on here as well. Tutorials are rare for me, but it's possible I'll do some.
Do you have any programming experience? If yes, tell us about your best project. No projects. I've messed around in Batch, know HTML/CSS and Python. Going to start learning Assembly for the malware analysis course soon.

jc112

#4 Re: Windows and Malware Course Application

Postby jc112 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:19 am

Application for the following course: <> Windows <> Malware Analysis
Time I will spend for the course per week: 12-20 Hours

Do you have any previous experience related to the course's topic? Yes
Are you currently enrolled in another course on another forum? No
Why do you want to learn more about Malware Analysis/Windows? This is a great opportunity for me, It will help me out in my every day work life, Allow me to learn a lot more stuff that will appear on a day to day basis. I am very interested in both Malware and viruses and also with Windows operating systems.
What do you offer to our forum in return? I will offer support, I know I'm only new here but I have come from other computing forums such as toms hardware and have given assistance on there, learning these courses from the source will be the best thing ever which is why I have come to you guys.
Do you have any programming experience? If yes, tell us about your best project. I am SQL qualified, Understand code and logging files.

Topic author
Zey
Administrators
Administrators

#5 Re: Windows and Malware Course Application

Postby Zey » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:21 am

jc112 wrote:Application for the following course: <> Windows <> Malware Analysis

Why do you want to learn more about Malware Analysis/Windows? This is a great opportunity for me, It will help me out in my every day work life, Allow me to learn a lot more stuff that will appear on a day to day basis. I am very interested in both Malware and viruses and also with Windows operating systems.
What do you offer to our forum in return? I will offer support, I know I'm only new here but I have come from other computing forums such as toms hardware and have given assistance on there, learning these courses from the source will be the best thing ever which is why I have come to you guys.
Do you have any programming experience? If yes, tell us about your best project. I am SQL qualified, Understand code and logging files.

Thanks for your application and welcome to WHF.
Are you applying for Malware or Windows Course? Please choose one. If you want to do both anyways, start with Windows.

jc112

#6 Re: Windows and Malware Course Application

Postby jc112 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:30 am

Zey wrote:
jc112 wrote:Application for the following course: <> Windows <> Malware Analysis

Thanks for your application and welcome to WHF.
Are you applying for Malware or Windows Course? Please choose one. If you want to do both anyways, start with Windows.

Hi Zey,

Thank you very much for getting back to me,

I would like to do Both, so I will do the windows to start off if possible?

Thanks

Joel

Topic author
Zey
Administrators
Administrators

#7 Re: Windows and Malware Course Application

Postby Zey » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:06 am

jc112 wrote:Hi Zey,

Thanks

Joel

Yes, you start with Windows, because the other way around makes not that much sense. :)

jc112

#8 Re: Windows and Malware Course Application

Postby jc112 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:02 pm

Zey wrote:

Thanks

Joel

Yes, you start with Windows, because the other way around makes not that much sense. :)

Hi Mate that's great, Have I been accepted then? :P Also how do I go about getting the materials ect for this? - Will you be tutoring or?

Topic author
Zey
Administrators
Administrators

#9 Re: Windows and Malware Course Application

Postby Zey » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:08 pm

jc112 wrote:
Zey wrote:

Thanks

Joel

Hi Mate that's great, Have I been accepted then? :P Also how do I go about getting the materials ect for this? - Will you be tutoring or?

You haven't been accepted yet. Freebooter will decide about that, because he is teaching the Windows course (I am reponsible for Malware Analysis).
Please wait for his decision.
Same for Ethereal.

mxx518

#10 Re: Windows and Malware Course Application

Postby mxx518 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:06 pm

Application for the following course: <> Windows <> Malware Analysis
Time I will spend for the course per week: 20 hours minimum. I recently lost my job, so I have some free time lol

Do you have any previous experience related to the course's topic? I've worked as a computer tech for a couple of Managed Services Providers which required me to fix a lot of Windows based computers.
Why do you want to learn more about Malware Analysis/Windows? I want to be a badass systems administrator that doesn't need to use Google (as minimum as possible) to solve problems (no matter how basic or complex they are). Also, I think the subject's are fascinating.
What do you offer to our forum in return? I will help other people out as much as possible. I am open to writing tutorials or articles on different things. I am open to pretty much anything.
Do you have any programming experience? If yes, tell us about your best project. I don't have any programming experience. I've edited php, css and html files when I was screwing around with WordPress though. I'm not a stranger to the subject.

I'd like to start with the Windows course.

WhitehatStudent

#11 Re: Windows and Malware Course Application

Postby WhitehatStudent » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:48 pm

Application for the following course: Windows Course
Time I will spend for the course per week: This is my passion, so I would say a minimum of 12 hours a week.
Do you have any previous experience related to the course's topic? I'm not gonna lie, I don't have that much knowledge about Windows OP, but you will not find a more dedicated student than me.
Are you currently enrolled in another course on another forum? I am not taking any other course.
Why do you want to learn more about Malware Analysis/Windows? As i said earlier this is my passion. I also wanna get into the It-security business when I'll start working.
What do you offer to our forum in return? (e.g. assistance for users seeking help here, tutorials in topic xy)
Whenever I feel comfortable helping another member with a problem I am capable of solving I will assist.
Do you have any programming experience? If yes, tell us about your best project.
I don't have any programming other than some easy Visual Basic projects. Nothing worth mentioning.

Kovu
Sophomore Member
Sophomore Member

#12 Re: Windows and Malware Course Application

Postby Kovu » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:39 am

Application for the following course: Malware Course
Time I will spend for the course per week: Varies depending on the week; can guarantee at least 9 hours, at most 20.
Do you have any previous experience related to the course's topic? Yes, I've worked with malware a bit when moderating a popular forum which had a mods section. I've done decompilation, depackaging, and some assembly modification.
Why do you want to learn more about Malware Analysis/Windows? I'm very interested in Malware Analysis and how the computer and malware works on a low level.
What do you offer to our forum in return? (e.g. assistance for users seeking help here, tutorials in topic xy) I can help users here, as well as teach new people concepts. I can write tutorials in various programming and gaming topics.
Do you have any programming experience? If yes, tell us about your best project. Yes; I've created an assembly injector and a screen recording software.

farux

#13 Re: Windows and Malware Course Application

Postby farux » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:59 am

Both programs sound amazing, I am currently applying for the windows course and will apply for the malware next. Really look forward to the classes if i'm accepted. Either way, thanks for offering this service to the community!

Application for the following course: Windows

Compsci student

Time I will spend for the course per week:

What I need to commit to get the work done, I am busy with school but am very passionate about the world of white hate hacking and do this in my spare time. I would say that I can put in at least one hour a day and more when midterms and exams are not happening so around 7-10 hours a week realistically.

Do you have any previous experience related to the course's topic?

I have been learning the windows/linux commands since starting but that is it for windows aside from basic usage for years

Are you currently enrolled in another course on another forum?

No

Why do you want to learn more about Malware Analysis/Windows?

I am currently in compsci at uni and my overall goal is to work as a pen tester/ethical hacker in some capacity. I decided to go the university route because I feel that having a solid grasp of the foundational knowledge is needed in this profession. This is one reason I would love to be a part of your course. I am very passionate about programming/hacking and love to understand how things operate. Both the windows course and the malware analysis course can offer me this foundational knowledge it sounds like, which is very appealing to me. Also, the idea of understanding malware and later being able to RE it is just awesome and I cant even comprehend it at the moment

What do you offer to our forum in return?

When people are where I'm at (relatively new to the hacking world) I try to direct them to certain people's posts (true demon, ponywizard) or ill reference websites or books that helped me get a bit more of direction when starting off. I am a big proponent of sharing what you know to increase as a collective and as I gain more knowledge and skills in various topics I will be happy to share with others. Since so many people struggle to start off hacking ive contemplated starting a blog and documenting my approach so that it is coming first hand from someone learning, not someone who has already learnt and is trying to remember how to start - as you can tell ive thought quite a bit about how to give back to the community (at the moment most is focused on helping new people find direction).

Do you have any programming experience? If yes, tell us about your best project.

Currently, I have very basic knowledge of python ( I can write a pretty wicked fizzbuzz program) but since uni, the language they teach atm is BSL/dr.dracket... I know it is an odd/unkown language but I have been able to build programs that compile data and output the data based on certain parameters or an animation where you can press keys and a elevator will go to that floor. Starting in mid december though that class will be over and we will be learning Java

MrHuss
Malware Analysis I
Malware Analysis I

#14 Re: Windows and Malware Course Application

Postby MrHuss » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:38 pm

Application for the following course: Windows Course, would love to start Malware Analysis Course afterwards.
Occupation: Student currently. Also, trying to learn Penetration testing.
Time I will spend for the course per week: Well, I'm usually free which implements I can spend more than 15 hours/week.

Do you have any previous experience related to the course's topic? I would say minimal to medium, I'm a Windows 7 user.
Are you currently enrolled in another course on another forum? No.
Why do you want to learn more about Malware Analysis/Windows? Well, ethical hacking and penetration testing is my aim. Simplistically, awareness is a huge thing in my point of view. Being able to know what's going on when I use Windows would be indeed great! In addition, this opportunity really matters to me, would love to get acknowledged.
What do you offer to our forum in return? (e.g. assistance for users seeking help here, tutorials in topic xy) Undoubtedly, I'll be helping fellow users as well as try to make tutorials for their comfort.
Do you have any programming experience? If yes, tell us about your best project. No projects to be honest. Currently, I'm trying to learn Python. Already have a set of videos lined-up. Also, I'm familiar with html and know the basics of SQL.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a MASK and he will tell you the Truth!

Topic author
Zey
Administrators
Administrators

#15 Re: Windows and Malware Course Application

Postby Zey » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:39 pm

Kovu wrote:Application for the following course: Malware Course
Time I will spend for the course per week: Varies depending on the week; can guarantee at least 9 hours, at most 20.
Do you have any previous experience related to the course's topic? Yes, I've worked with malware a bit when moderating a popular forum which had a mods section. I've done decompilation, depackaging, and some assembly modification.
Why do you want to learn more about Malware Analysis/Windows? I'm very interested in Malware Analysis and how the computer and malware works on a low level.
What do you offer to our forum in return? (e.g. assistance for users seeking help here, tutorials in topic xy) I can help users here, as well as teach new people concepts. I can write tutorials in various programming and gaming topics.
Do you have any programming experience? If yes, tell us about your best project. Yes; I've created an assembly injector and a screen recording software.

Hi Kovu.

You are allowed to take the Windows Test.
You should see an Exams forum with your name as subforum. I will post your test there shortly.

Kovu
Sophomore Member
Sophomore Member

#16 Re: Windows and Malware Course Application

Postby Kovu » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:45 am

Zey wrote:
Kovu wrote:Application for the following course: Malware Course

Hi Kovu.

You are allowed to take the Windows Test.
You should see an Exams forum with your name as subforum. I will post your test there shortly.

I'll start that ASAP.

Topic author
Zey
Administrators
Administrators

#17 Re: Windows and Malware Course Application

Postby Zey » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:31 am

Kovu wrote:I'll start that ASAP.

You passed the test. Congratulations and welcome to the Malware Analysis course!

mmls

#18 Re: Windows and Malware Course Application

Postby mmls » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:10 am

Application for the following course: Windows and Malware
Time I will spend for the course per week: 20 hours

Do you have any previous experience related to the course's topic? I have experience in end user support, i have helped fix windows boxes in the past. also not sure if its relevant but i also have ccna
Are you currently enrolled in another course on another forum?none
Why do you want to learn more about Malware Analysis/Windows? I really like to learn how things work, things i use and come across on a daily basis, and if it broken i like to fix it thats the fun part of learning i find.
What do you offer to our forum in return? guidance and end user support to the most in need, share the knowledge to others, i remember being one of those who needed help years ago, so its nice to give back.
Do you have any programming experience? If yes, tell us about your best project. have not done any projects, but i have messed about with C and python. i understand the fundamentals
How do you know about our courses or forum? replied to a post on hackforums.

mmls

#19 Re: Windows and Malware Course Application

Postby mmls » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:26 am

I would like to start with the windows course first.

alpha

#20 Re: Windows and Malware Course Application

Postby alpha » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:13 am

Application for the following course: Malware analysis
Time I will spend for the course per week: circa 9

Do you have any previous experience related to the course's topic?: Yes
Are you currently enrolled in another course on another forum?: No
Why do you want to learn more about Malware Analysis/Windows?: For my own information and knowledge, which I am able to reflect on others.
What do you offer to our forum in return? Seeing that you need tutorials; tutorials, guides and other threads. I can provide help as well without a doubt. (e.g. assistance for users seeking help here, tutorials in topic xy)
Do you have any programming experience? If yes, tell us about your best project. Java is my main language, although I can handle C#, C++ and most of the important web dev languages. The biggest project was an informational system for regional hospital chain.
How do you know about our courses or forum? From HF.

Topic author
Zey
Administrators
Administrators

#21 Re: Windows and Malware Course Application

Postby Zey » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:35 am

alpha wrote:Application for the following course: Malware analysis
Time I will spend for the course per week: circa 9

Do you have any previous experience related to the course's topic?: Yes
Are you currently enrolled in another course on another forum?: No
Why do you want to learn more about Malware Analysis/Windows?: For my own information and knowledge, which I am able to reflect on others.
What do you offer to our forum in return? Seeing that you need tutorials; tutorials, guides and other threads. I can provide help as well without a doubt. (e.g. assistance for users seeking help here, tutorials in topic xy)
Do you have any programming experience? If yes, tell us about your best project. Java is my main language, although I can handle C#, C++ and most of the important web dev languages. The biggest project was an informational system for regional hospital chain.
How do you know about our courses or forum? From HF.

Thanks for you application, alpha.
You are allowed to take the Windows Test. You should see an Exams forum. I will place a thread with the test questions in there in a few minutes. If you pass the test, you can start the Malware Analysis course.

Lancelot

#22 Re: Windows and Malware Course Application

Postby Lancelot » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:55 am

Application for the following course: Windows Course
Time I will spend for the course per week: about 8 hours

Do you have any previous experience related to the course's topic?
I am new to this forum and I never heard about this.
Are you currently enrolled in another course on another forum? All other courses that I am enrolled in are courses that I can continue anytime or stop anytime I want without loosing anything.
Why do you want to learn more about Malware Analysis/Windows?
I really like to help people and fix things. As I really like to be helped by experienced members. I don't know a lot of things about windows and I want to learn about it !
What do you offer to our forum in return? (e.g. assistance for users seeking help here, tutorials in topic xy)
I offer my precious help to anyone who is in need. I will priories the urgent cases. (if there is any)
I don't have any programming experience except from some online course on codecademy and udemy.
How do you know about our courses or forum?
An admin who helped me recently. (FreeBooter)

usasma
Windows Specialist
Windows Specialist

#23 Re: Windows and Malware Course Application

Postby usasma » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:55 pm

Application for the following course: Windows Training
Time I will spend for the course per week: 4 - 8 hours

Do you have any previous experience related to the course's topic? I am a BSOD analyst, a Microsoft MVP, and a PC Technician
Why do you want to learn more about Malware Analysis/Windows? To become more proficient at helping others
What do you offer to our forum in return? (e.g. assistance for users seeking help here, tutorials in topic xy) Helping others
Do you have any programming experience? If yes, tell us about your best project. Website at http://www.carrona.org
How do you know about our courses or forum? a friend linked me here

- John Microsoft MVP - Windows Experience ( http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack http://www.carrona.org/knack.wav. **

If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

Zayne

#24 Re: Windows and Malware Course Application

Postby Zayne » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:30 pm

Application for the following course: EDIT: forgot to add "<> Windows <> Malware Analysis"
Hello there, prime online alias I tend to use is 'Zayne'. I am a website developer and fluent in a few languages e.g php, python, js and I dabble a little bit with c++ and fasm (flat assembler) in the x86 architecture. I am also fluent in some markup languages.
I guess I could say I work as a freelancer (ethical hacker) and a website designer. On my free-time I am either working on my car, doing computer related work or hanging out with some friends.

:offtopic I would like to mention that I also try to maintain a good physical condition to become as fit as possible and as I stated above I like to work on my car and I just recently switched the engine, I guess you could call me a car enthusiast.. maybe.

Time I will spend for the course per week: I only attend to school, and I have all the time in the world as of now. I am done with all the official examinations in school which means I will be spending most of my time in-front of the computer. You tell me what to do and I will have it done.

Do you have any previous experience related to the course's topic? I meet all the requirements for this course, been dabbling a lot with programming as well and I've read a few books related to malware and I believe I know the fundamentals to both security and the OS called windows.
A friend of mine is a certified instructor at UGM, and has been teaching me some tricks, and I've been trying to do some basic reading of e.g. FRST logs on my own and other logs generated by different kinds of software. So answer is, yes.
Are you currently enrolled in another course on another forum? Nope.
Why do you want to learn more about Malware Analysis/Windows? To pursue my career in malware removal and as a forensic and to gain some more knowledge on the topic.
What do you offer to our forum in return? (e.g. assistance for users seeking help here, tutorials in topic xy) If I can I would be happy to assist anyone I can, and I would be happy to share my knowledge on any topic I can.
Do you have any programming experience? If yes, tell us about your best project. I have no big project, but a few smaller ones I could show if needed.
How do you know about our courses or forum? My buddy Aura.

Topic author
Zey
Administrators
Administrators

#25 Re: Windows and Malware Course Application

Postby Zey » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:14 am

Hi Zayne, for which course are you applying for? You can only apply for one.

Return to “Feedback and Announcements”